Re: RFC: improving the shar installer

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: RFC: improving the shar installer
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:34:25 +0200

Valentin Villenave wrote:

Hm, if there are only two methods (su and sudo), it should be
achievable. I have tried to take both into account in my script, but
since I have never ever used sudo I can't guarantee it will work
(works fine with su, though).
What happens on an Ubuntu machine is that the command su
exists but cannot be used since there is no password available
to get root access, so your first if statement in root_install will
be true. Also, if you use sudo then you should type in your
user password, not the root password. However, when I try
to run your sharhead.sh script, I notice two problems.
First, it cannot be run at all with /bin/sh, which gives syntax
errors. When I run it with bash, it runs, but I never get a chance
to type in any password, but it directly prints out

 Please type your administrator password...
Could not launch installation as super-user.

  /Mats