Re: RFC: improving the shar installer (was: 2.11.56 problems)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: RFC: improving the shar installer (was: 2.11.56 problems)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:15:45 +0200

Valentin Villenave wrote:

1 - is it possible (and wise) to have an installer script that is run
as standard user, that offers to install as root and *only then* asks
for a password?
One practical problem is that the way to get root access differs from Linux distribution to Linux distribution. For some, like Ubuntu, the only possibility is to use sudo, whereas many other distributions have not configured sudo this way, so you have to use su. Whichever method is used in the script, it will make the installer useless (or less useful)
on the other distributions.
Also, if I ran an installation program that suddenly asked for my password (or even worse, for the root password) I would get really suspicious. The best solution is probably what
Han-Wen proposed, namely to clarify the printouts, to say something like:

You're about to install LilyPond in $HOME/lilypond/ and the programs will be placed in
$HOME/bin/.
If you prefer to install LilyPond in /usr/local/lilypond with the programs placed in /usr/local/bin/,
then abort now and rerun the installer with root privileges, i.e. using
sudo sh lilypond-X.Y.Z-U.linux-x86.sh
or
su
sh lilypond-X.Y.Z-U.linux-x86.sh

A slightly more ambitious alternative is to let the installer check if $HOME/bin/ is in the
$PATH and issue more specific warnings and instructions in that case.

   /Mats