Re: Unbound variable: parse-terse-string

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Unbound variable: parse-terse-string
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 23:16:12 +0100

Carl

OK I think I understand what is happening here.
It's all to do with Vista's paranoia over security
and my attempts to compile the docs between GUB
releases.  It's a long story ... and good fodder
for the anti-Vista brigade.

The Program Files directory has a special protection,
new in Vista.  It was not present in XP.  Even with
administrator privileges a user has to give _explicit_
permission to carry out a file level operation on a
file in the Program Files directory.  Normally this
is little more than a nuisance when using programs
that are aware of this, but it seems some programs,
like ConTEXT, don't play this MS game properly and
don't ask for explicit permission on a Save to a
location within Program Files.

Everything seems to be fine, but in fact the file
has been saved _beneath the covers_.  The file
remains visible to ConTEXT, and importantly to
LilyPond, but not to other Microsoft programs
like Windows Explorer.  It is as if there are two
file systems, with the same directory names, one
used by pukka MS-compatible programs and one used
by other programs when saving.  I guess this is
intended to allow some old programs to continue
working.

It gets worse.  If a file is saved within the
LilyPond installation using ConTEXT in this way,
that hidden file and the directory structure
leading to it remain intact but invisible even when
the entire LilyPond directory is ostensibly deleted!
ConTEXT can still find and open it, even though the
directory is quite invisible in Windows Explorer.
Even worse, the file is also visible to the LilyPond
installer, so it is not replaced by a later version,
should one be present in the next release.

This explains my previous two problems as well as
the present one.  Because I need to compile the
docs between GUB releases I sometimes have to extract
newly created files from git and copy them into my
LilyPond installation.  Often I used ConTEXT to do
this, and everything seemed fine.  But if any of
those files changed again in the next GUB release
they failed to make it into my installation, as the
previous versions remained hidden in the file structure
even after deleting or even uninstalling LilyPond.

To fix this I first needed to clean up the file structure.
Fortunately this is possible.  ConTEXT itself can be
used to delete the "hidden" files from the Save or Open
panels (simply right-click/delete on the LilyPond
directory).  Then I installed 2.11.56 as normal and all
is fine.  In future, I must remember to use MS copy
rather than ConTEXT to copy files from git to the
installation.  That way explicit permission will be
sought and the file will be saved correctly.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden>