Re: Unbound variable: parse-terse-string

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Unbound variable: parse-terse-string
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 08:18:22 -0600

On 8/23/08 2:45 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl, you wrote Saturday, August 23, 2008 12:11 AM
>
>> I have had no problems, so I don't really know what to tell you.  However,
>> let me give you some thoughts.
>
>> 1.  Check scm/lily.scm.  Make sure it has scm/predefined-fretboards.scm
>> listed as one of the files to include, after fret-diagrams.scm
>
> This was the problem - thanks.  I had to copy scm/lily.scm and
> scm/harp-pedals.scm from git.  Strange, as scm/lily.scm in
> origin/master has had predefined-fretboards.scm in the include
> list since 7 Aug, just after 2.11.55-2 was tagged.

Whew, I'm glad that worked.  I was worried that there was something broken
that I'd have a really hard time tracking down.

> Even stranger, after copying it in from git I then deleted the
> installation files and reinstalled.  This time it was correct
> (apart from scm/harp-pedals which was added after the 2.11.56
> GUB).  I had earlier tried re-installing several times but
> the problem persisted.

Did you uninstall before re-installing?  I seem to remember having messages
on my Windows machine that said I needed to uninstall a previous version
before installing an upgrade.

> This is either a general problem with Vista, or a problem
> local to my particular installation.  It is the third time
> something like this has happened.  The common feature seems
> to be that an old version of a file seems to be retained
> somehow and placed in the new installation.  Something to
> watch.

I seem to remember seeing something on devel about uninstall not working.
Oh -- I found it, it was a comment on make uninstall, which wouldn't apply
to Windows.

But during the search I found this link:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.bugs/13126

where you said:

> Renaming directories rather than uninstalling/reinstalling will lose any
> local additions, which are preserved by uninstall, so you may need to copy
> these over if you have any.

Is it possible that you had touched the files, so they appeared to be local
additions and were preserved by uninstall?

>> It may be that the rest of us are using non-prebuilt systems,
>
> I think that is so.  Certainly none of you uses Vista !!

That's right for me -- I have a Mac now because I refused to go to Vista,
but I still needed to have some Windows functionality, and Parallels offers
me the chance to run XP quite easily.

Anyway, I'm glad my blind suggestions worked!

Carl