Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:12:18 +0200

2008/8/20 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
> Just curiosity, what's the size of this redirected output file?

about 10 MB on my box.

> Secondly: let's assume it's a million lines worth (this much it seems
> to me). They take time to be printed. Compilation plus printing many
> megacharacters on screen or to a file takes much more than compilation
> alone. Therefore, it slowens the process in an appreciable amount,
> obvious, isn't it?

Yep, I don't remeber exact timings, but making web on my Celeron at
1,4 GHz with 512 MB RAM takes about 2 hours with output scrolling in
gnome-terminal with an image as background, and it takes only about 1
h 40 min.

> Sorry for bringing down the high technical level of this thread, but
> time has its importance.

I'd recommend to always redirect "make web" output to a file if you're
concerned with this.

Cheers,
John