Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Merging dev/texi2html [was: Re: Clean history]
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:31:47 +0200

2008/8/21 Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:
> I proposed a shell variable, e.g.
> VERBOSE_BUILD=1 make
>
> The build would then only be verbose if that variable is set. Otherwise:
> - -) no --verbose is used
> - -) debug output of metafont printed only to log files
> - -) -q is used with texi2pdf
>
> Of course, error messages (and probably also warnings) should still be
> printed, but not so much debug output.

Good idea, but I'd rather set verbose output by default and document
VERBOSE_BUILD=0 in install.itely.
Verbose output is preferable by default, as you don't have to rerun
with VERBOSE_BUILD in case there's a problem, e.g. errors in ly files
happen frequently, and it can be a lot easier to debug them when
lilypond runs with --verbose.

Are you going to add this to makefiles?  I can do it if you like.

Cheers,
John