Re: printing-marks-on-every-staff.ly (proposed change)

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: printing-marks-on-every-staff.ly (proposed change)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:04:00 +0000

2008/11/6 Mark Polesky <address@hidden>:
> In the file /input/lsr/printing-marks-on-every-staff.ly,
> I propose moving the \with blocks into a single \layout
> block. Someone wanting to print marks on every  staff of
> a large orchestra piece might not realize that a lot of
> typing can be saved since all of the repeated \with
> blocks can be consolidated into one \layout block. At
> least, this is what happened to me!

I was just about to suggest using \layout in the other thread. :)

> There may be other snippets with the same issue, but I
> haven't checked.

Quite possibly, though I think \with tends to be used in the snippets
list since novices find it easier to understand than \layout.

> lines 24-41 currently read:
>
> {
>  \new Score \with {
>    \remove "Mark_engraver"
>    \remove "Staff_collecting_engraver"
>  }
>  <<
>    \new Staff \with {
>      \consists "Mark_engraver"
>      \consists "Staff_collecting_engraver"
>    }
>    { c''1 \mark "molto" c'' }
>    \new Staff \with {
>      \consists "Mark_engraver"
>      \consists "Staff_collecting_engraver"
>    }
>    { c'1 \mark "molto" c' }
>  >>
> }

> proposed change:
>
> \layout {
>  \context {
>    \Score
>    \remove "Mark_engraver"
>    \remove "Staff_collecting_engraver"
>  }
>  \context {
>    \Staff
>    \consists "Mark_engraver"
>    \consists "Staff_collecting_engraver"
>  }
> }
>
> {
>  \new Score
>  <<
>    \new Staff { c''1 \mark "molto" c'' }
>    \new Staff { c'1 \mark "molto" c' }
>  >>
> }

You don't need \new Score; in fact, no snippet should use this, since
it confuses users.

I've amended the snippet using \score, with the \layout block included.

Cheers,
Neil