Re: Review of text.itely

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Review of text.itely
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:41:07 -0000

Valentin, you wrote Sunday, November 23, 2008 3:26 PM

2008/11/23 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>:

I've just reviewed text.itely.  I think this is mainly your work and very
impressive it is!  I made only three minor changes, of which only one is
significant.  If you can find a couple of minutes perhaps you could check
these out to be sure I've not screwed anything up.

I'm happy with your changes. I've had a hard time trying to explain
the purpose of the pango-tree overriding, so I guess yours is better.

There are one FIXME and two TODOs left, which I'd like to see handled before we move text.itely to 'finished' status. Could you see if these are still
relevant?  If so, would you like me to deal with them?

Oh, that would certainly be of great help (my opera's deadline was
three weeks ago, and I still have one scene to write).

The FIXME, at least, has to be dealt with; the TODO snippets are
probably not mandatory but it would be nice to have them.

I've had a look at the FIXME.  It suggests documenting
text-font-size, but this variable is not used in the
way you might expect.  Its only effect (AFAICS) is to
set the reference size used by the \abs-fontsize function.
I'll explain:

The \abs-fontsize markup function works by magnifying the
font-size by a factor determined by dividing the required
size by the reference size.  This reference size is taken
from 'text-font-size if that variable is set or the hardcoded
value 12 is used otherwise.  The effect of setting 'text-font-size
therefore changes the font size set by \abs-fontsize: setting
a value smaller than the default value of 12 increases the
magnification factor, and the font size set by a particular
value given to \abs-fontsize increases - not the effect you
might expect!

See the definition of abs-fontsize in scm/define-markup-commands.scm
for the details.

text-font-size is also set internally by the set-global-staff-size
and layout-set-staff-size functions, so changing it outside
these functions would probably muck up the desired effect of
these functions too.

So I suggest we simply delete this FIXME, unless someone
else can explain why it might be useful.

Trevor