small caps

From: Danalute
Subject: small caps
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 12:08:32 -0800 (PST)

Till wrote:

> I would like to have *REAL* small caps when the font has them
> and not this faked stuff, it really hurts my eyes. (maybe pango indeed
> can be configured to do so?)

Unicode provides encodings for SMALL CAPITALS, unfortunatly they are
scattered and saddled with unfortunate semantics.

1D00 A, LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL (UPA)
0262 G, LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL (IPA)

it is possible that an entire alphabet is given such code points, I have
vague memory of that in unicode-1.   I only had patience to locate these two
(chosen arbitrarily).  Hopefully they will force to lc, collate, and
spellcheck reasonably.

Till wrote:

> I would say
> this also agrees with the philosophy of lilypond since we also put
> musical notation with symbols and not the unicode equivalents of some
> notational signs.

our 'symbols' (markup) makes the input file human legible and allows its
creation inpendantly of music fonts, but that is no reason to ignore unicode
semantics if they could serve our interests.

It should be possible for a user to specify a font for some particular use
and expect us to explore it for symbols based on an internal list of
relevant unicode encodings (eg, clefs, 1D11E-1D124, bars 1D10-1D18)...
Users with fonts containing non-unicode encoded useful symbols might also be
able to specify mapping betwen sets of them and documented semantics using
appropriate (possibly new) tags.
--
Danalute