Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 16:02:08 +0100

On 8 Dec 2008, at 12:28, Graham Breed wrote:

Also, I made keyboard map, which I have used in Scala playing in mainly E31
for the last couple of months:
  A#  B#  Cx  Dx  Ex
 A   B   C#  D#  E#  Fx  Gx  Ax  Bx
   Bb  C   D   E   F#  G#  A#  B#
     Cb  Db  Eb  F   G   A   B   C'# D'#
       Dbb Ebb Fb  Gb  Ab  Bb  C'  D'  E'
It will them work in any such generalized diatonic system.

You mean you have a keyboard mapped like this, or you use a virtual
keyboard in Scala?

Anyway, it'll only work in a system with a single spiral of fifths
(singly positive or negative in Wilson's terminology).  No good for
miracle or magic temperaments.

The link <http://x31eq.com/paradigm.html> you gave says:
Miracle scales can be described as subsets of either 31, 41, or 72 note equal temperament. For example, the 21 note "blackjack" scale looks like this:
  1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 /31
  1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 3 1 /41
  2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 5 2 /72
So the m M-model will work, and also the keyboard layout above, if adding more note names. One must give those names in Scala, but the vectoring is the same.

There is a practical problem: it is nice to have the octaves level. And having a lot m's makes the keyboard span short.

  Hans