Re: Diatonic notation system

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Diatonic notation system
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:08:17 +0100

On 10 Dec 2008, at 12:47, Graham Breed wrote:

Perhaps you mean the between a sharp and a flattened M, like between F# and
Gb, which may be positive or negative. Since I do not impose any such
relations, those are not confused.

Yes, that's the one.  If you only record pitches with M and m they
will be confused because m=m.  The diesis above C# (let's call it C#^)
will come out the same as Db.  If I asked for C#^ maybe you'll give me
Db.

This is because you do not know how to work out the diatonic values. C to C# is M - m, and C to Db is m, so C# - Db = M - 2m, the same as the definition of a comma in Pythagorean tuning.

One can see this by computing the scale degree d, which are unchanged by accidentals. So d(C#) = d(C), and d(Db) = d(D), so d(C# - Db) = 0 - 1 = -1. Since this is nonzero, commas are nit confused.

In fact, it is the other way around, for example E12 confuses scale degrees, because F# = Gb. This is however not a problem, as the Western notation system is diatonic, forcing one to write one of them. Then one can confuse them if called for.

  Hans