Re: GOP pre-planning: Frog bugfixing

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP pre-planning: Frog bugfixing
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:09:50 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 08:41:55PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/12/11 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > The idea behind Frogs is simple: each person will fix an average
> > of one bug per week.  You can either fix an existing bug, or
>
> You're missing one thing IMHO: feature requests (and, possibly
> bounties). We have quite a few of these, and this requires
> super-skilled and super-dedicated frogs, possibly working as a team
> (like the awesome work that has been done recently on harp pedals).

No, I'm not "missing" it.  Adding support for accordions or
rewriting the slur code to avoid collisions between phrasing and
normal slurs will take hours and hours, even for experienced
developers.  Fixing a "programming error" warning when the
lilypond output is already perfect would only take a knowledgeable
person a few minutes.

Once somebody has been doing small bugfixes for a few weeks,
they'll naturally start taking on bigger and bigger things.  The
idea behind the Frogs is to get more people doing those small
bugfixes.  The other stuff will take care of itself.

> I think we should have a list of feature request associated with
> bounties, for everyone interested to be able to make the auction climb
> a bit more. That could possibly encourage Frogs to dive into the Pond
> ;-)

Umm, like this?
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?q=label:Bounty