Re: Learning Manual TOC missing subsubsubsections

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Learning Manual TOC missing subsubsubsections
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 15:52:42 -0700

On 1/1/09 11:25 AM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Graham
>
> During GDP we experimented with various headings for
> the levels below @subsection and I thought we had
> standardised on @unnumberedsubsubsec with @node and
> a menu entry.  At least this is used in pitches, which
> I thought was the gold standard for formatting.
>
> Much of the LM was written before this policy was instated,
> so other forms tend to be used there, like @subsubheading
> and others which just use a @address@hidden one line
> paragraph, and as the LM hasn't yet been revised these
> non-standard formats are still there.
>
> The specific problem with the examples quoted in LM 3.3.4
> is that they use @unnumberedsubsubsec without an accompanying
> @menu entry and @node, so they are formatted differently
> in the ToC.  I'll fix this, but we really need to lay down
> clear standards for revisions under GOP.

I think we already have clear standards for revision under GOP -- they're
the same as for the GDP.  Unless you are proposing different standards for
the LM and the NR.  If that's the case, then ignore my comments, because I'd
be fine with your standards if they apply only to the LM.  If they apply to
the NR, I think it would be a mistake to undo what we did with the GDP.

So ignore the rest of my comments if you intend them to apply to the LM
only.

>  I suggest the
> following - they look fine in both html and pdf but I can't
> check info:
>
> @node Level 1
> @chapter Level 1

Yes

>   @menu
>   * Level 2::
>   @end menu
>
>   @node Level 2
>   @section Level 2

Yes

>     @menu
>     * Level 3::
>     @end menu
>
>     @node Level 3
>     @subsection Level 3

Yes, for organization.

>       Most of the text goes here

NO.  Only introductory text goes in subsections

>       @menu
>       * Level 4
>       @end menu
>
>       @node Level 4
>       @unnumberedsubsubsec Level 4
>
>         Long subsubsecs go here, so they appear in the Toc
>         Each has a separate html page

Most of the text goes here.  They appear in the TOC.  But because we use
unnumberedsubsubsec, each does not have a separate html page.  The separate
html pages are for Level 3, the subsection level.  You will see this
consistently in NR 1 and 2.

>   or  @subsubheading Level 4 [no menu entry]
>
>         Short subsubsecs go here, don't appear in the ToC
>         Grouped in one html page
We make no distinction between long and short subsubsecs.  All are
unnumbered, and all are grouped in one html page.  This is accomplished by
unnumberedsubsubsec.