Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 00:14:46 -0800

On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 08:18 +0800, Graham Percival wrote:

> >> But that probably means a no-go for any Lilypond project.
>
> Depends on what it is.  I'm an excellent mentor for documentation,
> and I'd really like to be a SoC mentor since they get T-shirts.
> My brother got one a few years ago, so now I want mine.  :)  I'll
> also have plenty of time in the summer.
>
> That said, SoC doesn't recognize the importance of documentation,
> organization, and other vital things.  So I say that Carl would be
> an ideal mentor.  He's managing half a dozen Frogs right now, so
> by the summer he'll know a lot more about the code base.
>
> > About the size of the project, it is in fact a 3-month job. Therefore
> > the goal has to be proportional :)
> > For SoC, most organisations fill a list of possible projects. These are
> > coming up in this thread, why not grouping them in a page on the website?
>
> The lilypond.org website is being reorganized.  I hope that you've
> seen
>   http://percival-music.ca/gop/
> in particular the Contributor's Guide.  Admittedly it's still
> being written.
>
> A full list of possible projects is on the google issue list;
> there's something like 300 open issues.  Now, everybody has their
> pet projects, but IMO a SoC shouldn't be directed at
> instrument-specific tasks like accordian or gregorian notation.
>
> The two areas that most need in-depth, multiple-week attention:
> - rewrite of part combiner.
> - rewrite of grace notes.
> - ... I have the feeling there was one more item, but it escapes
>   me at the moment.

Vertical spacing? I'd be willing to mentor a project that implements
vertical placement of systems and vertical stretching within systems in
a single pass using Simple_spacer. This would include, for example,
proper support for centred dynamics in a PianoStaff, plus better
automatic placement of Lyrics. With enough time, there could also be
support for fixed page layouts and maybe some other goodies I haven't
thought of.

Joe

By the way, I have a hunch that the fix for grace note synchronization
isn't time-consuming or large (so maybe it isn't appropriate for a
project). The reason it's been open for so long is that it's hard to
figure out what the fix should _be_.