Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 20:28:02 +0800

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 02:46:22AM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Graham Percival wrote:
>
> > That said, SoC doesn't recognize the importance of documentation,
>
> Not true.  For example, Drupal had a SoC project that was
> documentation-only, and I imagine other projects had as well.

Bloody Mao.  I knew I couldn't trust google.  :/   "... we can't
accept proposals for documentation-only work at this time."

SoC 2007:
http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=60315&topic=10727

SoC 2008:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_doc_proposals

I've had my eye on SoC since it started, but since I almost always
do docs, I never applied.

> - you need students that are interested (so far I did not see students
>   interested in improving documentation),

I don't know if any of them were students, but we recently has
over 20 people involved in GDP.

> - just mentioning their wishes, as others have done, is likely to be a
>   waste of time, not to mention an annoyance to the others, as _there have
>   to be competent mentors with enough time on their hands_ to do the job.
>
> The last point cannot be stressed enough.  Too many people actually expect
> others to do the work, and those would be well advised to just go and do
> something useful instead.

I don't think that anybody here would question how much I work on
lilypond.  In the summer I'll be back from NUS and with a decent
internet connection again, so there's no problems there.  The only
question is whether the project must include code or not, and
their FAQ is pretty unambiguous that the answer is "yes".