Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: ideas for Google Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:18:28 +0800

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 05:19:48PM +0100, Anne Ghisla wrote:
> Johannes Schindelin ha scritto:
>>
>>> (unfortunately, no I don't have time to mentor.)
>>
>> But that probably means a no-go for any Lilypond project.

Depends on what it is.  I'm an excellent mentor for documentation,
and I'd really like to be a SoC mentor since they get T-shirts.
My brother got one a few years ago, so now I want mine.  :)  I'll
also have plenty of time in the summer.

That said, SoC doesn't recognize the importance of documentation,
organization, and other vital things.  So I say that Carl would be
an ideal mentor.  He's managing half a dozen Frogs right now, so
by the summer he'll know a lot more about the code base.

> About the size of the project, it is in fact a 3-month job. Therefore
> the goal has to be proportional :)
> For SoC, most organisations fill a list of possible projects. These are
> coming up in this thread, why not grouping them in a page on the website?

The lilypond.org website is being reorganized.  I hope that you've
seen
  http://percival-music.ca/gop/
in particular the Contributor's Guide.  Admittedly it's still
being written.

A full list of possible projects is on the google issue list;
there's something like 300 open issues.  Now, everybody has their
pet projects, but IMO a SoC shouldn't be directed at
instrument-specific tasks like accordian or gregorian notation.

The two areas that most need in-depth, multiple-week attention:
- rewrite of part combiner.
- rewrite of grace notes.
- ... I have the feeling there was one more item, but it escapes
  me at the moment.