lilypond-book: \lilypond vs. lilypond environment

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: lilypond-book: \lilypond vs. lilypond environment
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:14:34 +0100 (CET)

Folks,

a long time ago, if I remember correctly, there was a difference
between lilypond-book's handling of \lilypond and a `lilypond'
environment: The former was (mainly) for inline use, the latter
(mainly) for use in a paragraph of its own.

I would like to restore this behaviour.  While it is already possible
to use \lilypond within a paragraph (and the `lilypond' environment
also), the image is not aligned well: The `eps-box-padding' value (as
specified with the command line option `--left-padding') is applied,
and the image isn't centered vertically.  [See my other mail
w.r.t. the usefulness of `--left-padding'.]

Since `--left-padding' is a global lilypond-book option, we would need
a local option `left-padding' for both \lilypond and the `lilypond'
environment; the default value would be zero for \lilypond and the
`--left-padding' value for the `lilypond' environment.

Similarly, I would add a new local option `vcenter' (possibly combined
with two other yet-to-be-implemented local options `hoffset' and
`voffset') to center lilypond images vertically.  Only \lilypond would
have this option set by default.

To avoid compatibility issues I suggest to introduce a (no-op)
\lilypondbookversion macro which is scanned by lilypond-book to
activate the new behaviour.

    Werner