Re: an LM update

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: an LM update
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 14:19:34 -0000

James E. Bailey wrote March 23, 2009 12:43 PM

Am 23.03.2009 um 13:24 schrieb Trevor Daniels:

Hi James

The main difficulty I have with this simple change is that Voices have not been introduced at this point in the Tutorial. They are not mentioned in the Learning Manual until Chapter 3. One of the principles we adopted for the Learning Manual was not to use a concept until it had been fully explained. That is why we did it the way we did. Do you not think dumping a \new Voice command here leads to even more confusion? Or do you think our principle is wrong? It was getting around this difficult that put me off doing it myself - it means a lot of work to do it properly. Perhaps a better way would be to simply remove section 2.3.5 from the tutorial and leave polyphony until Chapter 3 and do it properly there. What do you think?

I asked myself all of those same questions. I understand the philosophy of not using a term until it's been explained, I think it's a very good policy, especially in the learning manual. I tried re-writing the section a couple of times, but I could never get it as well written as it is in the NR. Although the terms aren't defined, per se, I think the context is clear, it's very clear that for single- staff polyphony, at least two voices will be on one staff, and we see in the example that there is a \new Voice. I also considered using the first example from the NR, simply because it explicitly creates both voices, but decided against it because that what the shorthand does, and where the problems arise.

Personally, I think that if single-staff polyphony is introduced here, I think it would suffice to give beginning users the tools to be able to use the construct, without going into the specifics of everything that's happening, and simply have pointers in the See Also to the relevant sections.

OK, if you want to do it this way I think you need at the
minimum to add a para which says something like this is just
a recipe, terms are not explained here, see ... for a full
explanation of Voices.  Just to recognise the principle is
being violated.

I'd like to say that I think removing polyphony here is a viable solution, but I don't really believe that. Vocal music is heavily reliant on this single staff polyphony. It's far too important and often-used concept to really not introduce in the Learning Manual.

Personally I'd prefer to either remove it, or replace it with
something like, "The concepts required to write polyphony
are not introduced until section 3.2."  And of course fix 3.2.

And, I want to re-iterate how amazingly well the NR discusses this topic. It's thorough, concise, and well-written. I really think that the short version introduction in the LM, with pointers to the more thorough version in the NR is the best solution.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "James E. Bailey" <address@hidden>