Re: an LM update

From: James E. Bailey
Subject: Re: an LM update
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 15:15:51 +0100

Am 23.03.2009 um 14:54 schrieb Graham Percival:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:50:45PM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:

Am 23.03.2009 um 14:14 schrieb Graham Percival:

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 02:03:56PM +0100, James E. Bailey wrote:

Yes, I did git commit -a and had the line : Modified: Documentation/
user/tutorial.itely in that file. The problem is that I don't have
git-format-patch. bash reports command not found.

Sorry, you're (quite sensibly) looking at the docs on
lilypond.org.  Unfortunately, they're a bit out of date now; in
particular, they miss this fix.

Please see here for the most up-to-date version.
http://www.kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-
guide/Sharing-your-changes.html

Thanks, that solved the problem of the error, but now I don't know which
file I email. Apparently, I've successfully updated my branch by 1
commit, but, do I send the whole tutorial.itely file? or what should I
look for, as far as changed files?

Good point.  There should be a file called
0001-something
in the top of the git directory.  That's what you send.  I'll add
this to the CG.

Is it just me, or did the website have git format-patch HEAD a minute or two ago?

In any event, hopefully this is an acceptable patch. Whether or not introduction of single-staff polyphony should be kept at this point in the LM (since doing so does not follow Documentation policy) is a different conversation.

But, as I said before, I think that removing it altogether is also a bad idea. Perhaps a simple warning that the section introduces several new concepts that haven't been fully explained with links to the appropriate sections that do explain them fully would be enough. As I've said many times over, I think this is amazingly well-written, and pretty difficult to not understand.