Re: an LM update

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: an LM update
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:52:20 +0100

Graham Percival a écrit :
Ick.  Do we really need to ask casual contributors to spend 30
minutes reading how to use git?
I think so, see below.

  Isn't there any faster way to
give the instructions?  Like

- copy the conflicted file to a backup name
- delete the file
- do "git reset --hard"
- do "git pull origin"
- compare the conflicted file and the new version, and make
  whatever changes to the new version that you want.
?

Certainly. If you want to perform the merge but are sure to prefer the revision of some CONFLICTING_FILE from origin/BRANCH, you can resolve this with

git checkout origin/BRANCH CONFLICTING_FILE

before committing everything to finalize the merge.

However, you should not do this without making sure you didn't make any valuable local changes not merged upstream, so I still recommand spending the required bloody 30 minutes or so.

John