Re: an LM update

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: an LM update
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:08:03 -0000

Graham Percival wrote Wednesday, March 25, 2009 1:06 PM
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 05:15:32PM +0100, John Mandereau wrote:
Hi James,
James E. Bailey a écrit :
Leave it to me to take something easy and make it difficult. So, I had
a conflict.
Please take half an hour to read sections "HOW CONFLICTS ARE PRESENTED" and "HOW TO RESOLVE CONFLICTS" in "git merge" documentation (the man
page if you're on Linux, or in HTML on Git web site anyway), as
suggested in the CG. I know you've already been making significant effort to get used to Git and Texinfo, but that's really worth it: after
this, you'll never be scared by conflicts any more.

Ick.  Do we really need to ask casual contributors to spend 30
minutes reading how to use git?  Isn't there any faster way to
give the instructions?  Like

It's not that easy ...

- copy the conflicted file to a backup name
- delete the file
- do "git reset --hard"

This would reset to the current HEAD, putting back the
file containing the local changes which are in conflict
if they had already been committed (as they had).

- do "git pull origin"

This would then just result in a repeat of the conflict

- compare the conflicted file and the new version, and make
 whatever changes to the new version that you want.

You could try a git reset --hard HEAD^ which would
also remove the last local commit, but it makes the
assumption that the conflicting local commit -is- the
last one committed.  It may not be.

Git is a complex beast and any simplistic recipe is
going to fail under some circumstances.

I really think if anyone has gone to the trouble of
setting up a local git repository it is best for them
to learn how to use it properly.  I personally found
git gui and gitk invaluable when learning and still
prefer to use them over command line, which seems
rather like flying blind to me.

Trevor