Re: git not fetching from origin...

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: git not fetching from origin...
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:36:52 -0600

On 5/19/09 10:54 AM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
>> You probably wanted to say
>>     git format-patch origin/master
>
> Okay, I did that, and it *did* produce a patch based
> on a preliminary edit I made. But in the GUI, clicking
> on Remote -> Fetch from -> origin yields:
>
> Fetching new changes from origin
> Error: Command Failed
>
> It's not supposed to say that, is it?
>

> Carl D. Sorensen wrote:
>> Were you following the instructions from 1.5 Git on
>> Windows, or those on 1.1 Getting the source code?
>
> 1.5 Git on Windows
>
>> Please try the following, and report on its results:
>>
>> git remote -v
>
> origin  git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>
>> git branch -v
>
> * lily-local 0ba3094 [ahead 1] Clarify 'avoid-slur docstring.

OK, so try the instructions in 1.5.6.  Do you have both branches listed, as
described in 1.5.6?

I'm not sure who you can get to be your helper with git gui.  I think I'd
suggest Patrick.

Johannes and I both use command line git.  That's why Johannes wanted to see
a "real" error message, which would be the output of a command line command.

Just to humor me, try a couple of commands, in this order, to see if they
work (stop if one works).  If they don't work, give us the response to these
commands (all of which should be entered in a terminal window (or a command
prompt).

1.  git pull

2.  git pull origin

3.  git pull origin master