Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 22:48:39 -0500

Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

Now, the full score compiles if I change the score target to this:

   score:
        $(LILY_CMD) Scores/$(piece).ly

So it looks like the Windows environment doesn't know how to deal with
the pattern rule defined at the top of the Makefile.

I'm encouraged that it's pretty easy to run lily files at the DOS
command line on Windows, at least.

Are you getting caught by the path separator:  it's \ in windows, but / in
linux?

I don't think so. You'll notice that the score target that compiles correctly uses unix-style separator / instead of Windows \. This works, I assume, because it is inside the Makefile, and GNU Make for Windows translates it. It looks to me as if the Windows GNU Make has trouble with the pattern rule with the % signs: %.pdf %.midi: %.ly

Maybe someone who actually uses Windows can understand this better. Clearly this makefile isn't as portable as we'd hoped it would be. As another approach I may go ahead and install cygwin on it, but I'm already growing weary of trying stuff that doesn't work. I'm about ready to put the Makefile section in the docs with a big warning saying it doesn't work on Windows without a lot of tweaking.

Jon

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com