Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:53:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:05 AM
>
> > On Mon, 25 May 2009, Mark Polesky wrote:
> >
> > > 1.5.2 Installing git
> > >
> > >  0) Full installer or portable application?
> >
> > This is my fault; PortableGit is a recent addition.  I'd recommend the
> > installer (but not the "full" installer available from
> > msysgit.googlecode.com).
>
> Yes, PortableGit wasn't there when I wrote this section.
> I'll try to find some words that distinguish the options
> clearly, but the names are so similar it's not easy.

I'd just say: don't use PortableGit.  It is not a full installation and
meant to enable you to take Git on a USB stick with you.  Hardly the setup
with LilyPond.

> > >  1) Describe Windows Explorer integration.
> > >
> > >     something like:
> > >     Selecting <Add "Git Bash Here"> and/or <Add "Git GUI Here">
> > >     will add the option(s) to the pop-up menu when you
> > > right-click
> > >     on a folder.
> >
> > And I thought this was really well described in the Git Installer.
>
> I never did this myself; I simply start bash and cd to
> the repo.  But I can see it would be useful.  I'll
> add a bit referring  to the instructions in the installer.
>
> > >  2) Recommend a command line option.
> > >     Use Git Bash only?
> > >     Run Git from the Windows Command Prompt?
> > >     Run Git and included Unix tools from the Windows Command
> > > Prompt?
> >
> > Is there really a need to recommend anything else than the default?
>
> No, but I can see this can be made clearer.
>
> > >  3) Recommend an SSH executable. OpenSSH or PLink? Or maybe
> > >     briefly describe the difference or link to a description?
> >
> > Both have their own set of problems; it is basically up to you which
> > poison you choose.
> >

> SSH is required only if you have authority to push
> to remote/origin.  I've assumed the reader (as someone
> new to git) would not have this, so it's not mentioned.
> How to get write access to the remote repository would need
> a whole section to itself!

Exactly.  So why not say "it does not matter what you choose here until
you have direct push permissions to the Git repository"?

> > >  4) Recommend a CR/LF behavior.
> > >     Use Unix style line endings?
> > >     Use Windows style line endings?
> > >     Commit line endings as they are?
> >
> > Again, I think the default is sane here (unless somebody fscks up and
> > commits files with CR/LF line endings).
>
> Or Mac line endings.
>
> It is essential to use the default in my opinion,
> so I'll make this clear.  Perhaps I should also
> mention that any files pushed (by others) to
> remote/origin/master with Mac line endings screw
> up a Windows respository when pulled.  The only
> way out, as far as I have been able to discover,
> is for someone with write access to fix them
> immediately.

Mac line endings will pretty much screw everybody, including Mac users, as
Git's diff engine (which is responsible for merging, too) relies on LF
being the last byte in every line.

But then, I am not aware of anyone managing to get LilyPond to run on
MacOS < 10.*, and on MacOSX, the native line ending is LF.

Ciao,
Dscho