Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:57:07 +0100

Johannes Schindelin Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:37 AM

> > > Again, I think the default is sane here (unless somebody > > > fscks up and
> > > commits files with CR/LF line endings).
> >
> > Or Mac line endings.
> >
> > It is essential to use the default in my opinion,
> > so I'll make this clear.  Perhaps I should also
> > mention that any files pushed (by others) to
> > remote/origin/master with Mac line endings screw
> > up a Windows respository when pulled.  The only
> > way out, as far as I have been able to discover,
> > is for someone with write access to fix them
> > immediately.
>
> Mac line endings will pretty much screw everybody, including > Mac users, as > Git's diff engine (which is responsible for merging, too) > relies on LF
> being the last byte in every line.
>
> But then, I am not aware of anyone managing to get LilyPond to > run on
> MacOS < 10.*, and on MacOSX, the native line ending is LF.

Even so, Mac line endings have found their way
into Lily's remote/origin/master several times
in the last couple of years.  I thought only
Windows was affected, as no one else seemed to be
concerned about it.  I fixed them as soon as
they appeared.

Oh... Well, you probably did not do much merging on these files as long as
they were CR-only, I guess... ;-)

Exactly so!  The first time it happened was
quite traumatic.  Now I know what to do it's
just a nuisance.  Fortunately they show up in
my repo as soon as I try to merge after fetching
from remote, so I spot them right away and push a
fix.

Trevor