Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: git on Windows (was: Re: git not fetching from origin...)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 01:05:32 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On Mon, 25 May 2009, Mark Polesky wrote:

> 1.5.2 Installing git
>
>  0) Full installer or portable application?

This is my fault; PortableGit is a recent addition.  I'd recommend the
installer (but not the "full" installer available from
msysgit.googlecode.com).

>  1) Describe Windows Explorer integration.
>
>     something like:
>     Selecting <Add "Git Bash Here"> and/or <Add "Git GUI Here">
>     will add the option(s) to the pop-up menu when you right-click
>     on a folder.

And I thought this was really well described in the Git Installer.

>  2) Recommend a command line option.
>     Use Git Bash only?
>     Run Git from the Windows Command Prompt?
>     Run Git and included Unix tools from the Windows Command Prompt?

Is there really a need to recommend anything else than the default?

>  3) Recommend an SSH executable. OpenSSH or PLink? Or maybe
>     briefly describe the difference or link to a description?

Both have their own set of problems; it is basically up to you which
poison you choose.

>  4) Recommend a CR/LF behavior.
>     Use Unix style line endings?
>     Use Windows style line endings?
>     Commit line endings as they are?

Again, I think the default is sane here (unless somebody fscks up and
commits files with CR/LF line endings).

Ciao,
Dscho