Re: defining make vars

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: defining make vars
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:50:09 +0200

Hi guys,
Le mardi 08 septembre 2009 à 10:13 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > > I propose to extend /VERSION to include:
> > > STABLE_VERSION
> > > DEVEL_VERSION
> - I'm asking if it's a good idea.

This would be yet another incarnation of caching data from another
branch in Git sources, so please no.

> > I suppose that we need STABLE_VERSION for producing the
> > web site -- both the old lily-web and GUB scripts have/share
> > code for deriving those from lilypond.org.
>
> Yes.  We could still use those, but
> - it require an active internet connection to build lilypond
>   (at least the first time).  This seems like a Bad Idea (tm).

Remember that building online web target is disabled by default, and the
offline version of the web site (in top-build-dir/out-www/offline-root)
will link to current version of the sources only.  Requiring an Internet
connection is sensible if you want to get last version number from both
development and stable branches, and it is only required for doc builds
that enable online documentation output.

> - those scripts would need a bit of rewriting

Yes, but this would not be so long or hard.

> - once rewritten, they'd add another bit to the complexity of the
>   build system.

This will be false if we use cross-references that require xref-maps
from the other branch to build the online web site.  Anyway, this bit
would be mainly isolated from the rest of the build system.

Cheers,
John