Re: defining make vars

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: defining make vars
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:12:57 +0100

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 11:50:09AM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Hi guys,
> > - I'm asking if it's a good idea.
>
> This would be yet another incarnation of caching data from another
> branch in Git sources, so please no.

At the moment, I'd like to get a working system, so I went ahead
with this anyway.

> > > I suppose that we need STABLE_VERSION for producing the
> > > web site -- both the old lily-web and GUB scripts have/share
> > > code for deriving those from lilypond.org.
> >
> > Yes.  We could still use those, but
> > - it require an active internet connection to build lilypond
> >   (at least the first time).  This seems like a Bad Idea (tm).
>
> Remember that building online web target is disabled by default, and the
> offline version of the web site (in top-build-dir/out-www/offline-root)
> will link to current version of the sources only.  Requiring an Internet
> connection is sensible if you want to get last version number from both
> development and stable branches, and it is only required for doc builds
> that enable online documentation output.

Building general.texi is enabled by default.

Since you and Carl are working on waf at the moment, and I'm
mainly working on GUB (once the university building is unlocked in
50 minutes), I went ahead with the hacky version.  Once waf is
done, by all means we can make it more graceful (including
whatever you meant by "web target is disabled by default").