Re: Overview of copyright issues

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Overview of copyright issues
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 20:13:21 +0200

On 9 Sep 2009, at 18:04, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

In addressing this there are several policies that can be put in place NOW:

  (1) All new files added to the code or docs must contain an
      unambiguous copyright AND licensing notice: I suggest in this
case GPLv2 or later for code, and the GFDL 1.1 or later for docs.

I think that the formulation should be "GPL, v2 or latest", because otherwise those that want to redistribute the code can choose which version, which is not the intent - v3 is in fact more restrictive with respect to tivoization. Only one GPL should be applicable. The formulation "or later" is probably spilled usage when indicating which version can be used - then it means one can choose version.

This formulation also means that the distribution conditions may change, even though the copyright notice is not changed of a package, when new version of the GPL are issued. I think that is fully legal.

  Hans