Re: Licensing dependencies

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Licensing dependencies
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:14:41 +0200

Am Sonntag, 20. September 2009 13:46:32 schrieb Joseph Wakeling:
> It looks like the problems are FreeType (GPLv2 only or GPL-incompatible
> permissive license, so blocks upgrade);

The FTL is GPLv2-incompatible, but according to the FSF, it's GPLv3-
compatible... See
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
No blocker here.

> Guile (future versions will be
> LGPLv3+, so GPLv2-only-incompatible); and potentially Pango (if it
> upgrades to LGPLv3+).
>
> None are a present, active problem but all are clear risks.

Yes, that's the only possible license issue in the future that I can see.
Everything else appears okay...

>    Python: GPL-compatible: see,
>            http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6/license/

We don't link anyway.

>    Dejaview: can't find any info on this, what is its provenance?

It appears only in the compiling instructions for FreeBSD. I don't think we
link to it. From the description it seems that dejaview simply makes the FBSD
fonts available to lilypond (at least that's what the CG says).

>    FontForge: new BSD license (i.e. GPL-compatible)

We don't link, just call.

>    Metafont: seems a bit weird and uncertain (TeX licenses, some GPL)
>              but this is just called, not linked to, no?

yes, we just call mf or mf-win

>    Texinfo: GPLv3+, but we only call it, don't link (?)

exactly.

>    GNU Bison: GPLv3+, but we only call it

The code it puts in the output file (which is linked into lilypond) is GPLv2+
with additional exception to use for any larger work (except other parser
generators).

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --