Re: doc reorg (especially Usage) possibly finished

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: doc reorg (especially Usage) possibly finished
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:34:45 +0100

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:12:26PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Le dimanche 27 septembre 2009 à 13:57 +0100, Graham Percival a écrit :
> > What do people think about the doc reorg shown in:
> > http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/general/Manuals.html
> > (and the actual manual pages, of course)
>
> I think the frame "Read it now" is superfluous, a simple link "Read it
> now" at the beginning of the frame "MANUAL NAME" or assiging "MANUAL
> NAME" the URL of the manual should be enough (I prefer the former to
> make sure that the reader immediately sees it).

I was trying to avoid the reader *immediately* seeing the link --
I wanted them to read the intro text first (and especially the
warning for the Notation Reference).  That said, I wanted a
regular user to know where to find the link on each doc page.

The current setup gives regular people a common place (mid-right
on the page), but I don't /think/ that new readers will skip over
the warning.  That said, even if it were in 40-point flashing red,
some people would still fumble around in Notation without knowing
the musical terms.  :(

Anybody else want to voice opinions about this?  I don't mind
changing the layout of the page, but I'd like a few more thoughts
first.