Re: Building LilyPond outside the source tree

From: Harmath Dénes
Subject: Re: Building LilyPond outside the source tree
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 23:21:36 +0100

On 2010.01.02., at 22:28, John Mandereau wrote:
>> I just don't have to do distclean.
>
> I disagree with this.  If you don't distclean or doc-clean in the source
> tree, you'll probably get weird build errors.

I mean, if I run ./autogen.sh --noconfigure first after cloning the repo, that
is fine.

>> So, starting with a clean working tree:
>>
>> thsoft-macbook:lilypond-translation thsoft$ ./autogen.sh --noconfigure
>> thsoft-macbook:lilypond-translation thsoft$ cd ../lily-build
>> thsoft-macbook:lily-build thsoft$
>> /Users/thsoft/Development/lilypond-translation/configure
>> <checks stripped>
>> configure: creating ./config.status
>> config.status: creating config.make
>> config.status: creating config.hh
>> find: illegal option -- m
>> find: illegal option -- a
>> find: illegal option -- e
>> find: illegal option -- p
>> find: illegal option -- t
>> find: illegal option -- h
>
> It looks like your implementation of find doesn't recognize option
> -maxdepth.  As I already announced a lot of times, I don't work any more
> on the old build system except obvious bugfixes, so I have no suggestion
> better than installing GNU findutils or another implementation of find
> which recognizes and implements this option.
> Sorry,
> John

And yes! Many thanks for pointing this out! Another sign of my, put it mildly,
lack of command line expertise (playing together with a less advanced OS X
shell implementation and a bit underdocumented build process). Installing
findutils with MacPorts and substituting find with gfind (where -maxdepth is
specified) in configure did the work. I suspect that creating links in the
MacPorts bin directory named find to gfind etc. would also help, but I didn't
want to take the risk of accidentally breaking other stuff.

So the following caveats should be mentioned in the CG:
- when fetching from git, run ./autogen.sh with --noconfigure in the source dir
- --srcdir isn't necessary
- if find signals errors, install findutils

Dénes