Re: Issue 659: alternate segno symbol (issue181144)

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: Issue 659: alternate segno symbol (issue181144)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 08:52:42 +0100

Reinhold Kainhofer schrieb:
Am Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2010 16:27:14 schrieb Marc Hohl:
After consulting wikipedia for several keyboard layouts, you have
convinced me.
I changed the ยง sign to an uppercase S, which should be accessible from any
latin keyboard.

http://codereview.appspot.com/181144

I've now tried out the patch. Looks fine, but still some random comments:

-) Are you aware that a \bar "S." does not have any effect, unless it appears at a line break? you should really add some segno bar lines not appearing at line breaks to your regtest. E.g. \new Staff {
    c4 \bar "S." c \bar ".S" c \bar "S" c \bar ".S" \break
    c4 c c c \bar "S." \break
    c4 c c2 \bar "S" \break
    s1 }
Oops. Ok, I think I've spotted the error.
-) Your setting the width to zero is really a bad idea, since the notes practically overlap (the ledger lines at least touch the segno bar line).
Yes, I know but I didn't see any possibility to stay compatible with
the span bars, and therefore I mentioned this kind of bug while I
announced the patch. Neil has given some suggestions, so I'll fiddle
with that.
-) The double bar lines look way too heavy here (that's actually not due to your patch. All bar lines look too heavy here, also when printed out, the double bar line just makes it worse...)
I am not sure whether I understand this correctly. All bar lines in my
example, or all bar lines in lilypond? How should I cope with that?
-) Compiling the font gives some warnings:

Invoking "fontforge -script feta26.pe feta26.pfb"...
Copyright (c) 2000-2009 by George Williams. Executable based on sources from 22:35 GMT 22-Jun-2009. Library based on sources from 22:35 GMT 22-Jun-2009. Internal Error in scripts.varcoda: couldn't find a needed exit from an intersection Internal Error: Could not find finalm Internal Error in scripts.varcoda: couldn't find a needed exit from an intersection
To be honest: I don't know what that means, but this error message appears
also on other places and with other glyphs, so I decided to ignore them.

Thanks for your comments!

Marc

Cheers,
Reinhold