proper handling of release/unstable

From: Graham Percival
Subject: proper handling of release/unstable
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:41:17 +0000

Patrick,

I'm a bit confused by some of the changes to the git commands for
release/unstable.  Doesn't
  git merge release/unstable
produce the ugly (and pointless) "merge remote branch" in the git
history for master?  I'd rather avoid that, and I thought that
  git cherry-pick release/unstable
would do get the changes (as long as there's only one commit) without
producing the "merge" message.  That said, I must admit that getting
all changes would be handy for special cases, such as having
translators making last-minute changes before 2.14.

I don't care if release/unstable has all those messages -- actually,
I'd *rather* have them there -- but I don't see the value of clogging
up master.

For people in the dark, we're making releases from the
release/unstable branch now.  My set of instructions are currently:

  git checkout release/unstable
  git merge origin
  vi Documentation/web/news-front.itexi Documentation/web/news.itexi
         (for the release message)
  git commit -a
  git push release/unstable
  cd ../gub/
  make LILYPOND_BRANCH=release/unstable lilypond
  make lilypond-upload WITH_THE_RIGHT_VARS=blah
  cd ../lilypond/
  vi VERSION
  git commit -a
  git push