Re: Patch: issue #659

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Patch: issue #659
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:54:39 +0100

Marc Hohl wrote:
I don't know. The staff lines should end a little bit earlier, see

http://lilypond.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=-394070284723943851&name=segno-end.png&inline=1 I don't think it is a good idea to let the segno sign reach into the margin, so
the staff lines have to end before reaching the right margin.

Hi, Marc,

thanks for dealing with this.

I found another example (the one in the bugtracker comes from me, too), from Bosworth & Co. as well, but this time without bar lines spanned across the staves. (Anyone seen a source where this glyph is used by another publisher?) Here, the double bar lines are not drawn through the whole staff, but the staff lines actually extend across the segno.

I'd prefer drawn-through bar lines (which seems easier to implement, anyway), but I'd expect the segno sign to reach into the margin. (The same as with, say, a fermata centered over the final bar line.) If (as shown here) the system is actually ragged-right (or stopped after the segno), it doesn't harm too much, anyway, since the Dal segno text comes after it with some padding. However in case the segno ends a flush-right system, it occurs to me that a visually shorter staff (especially with SpanBar lines) is worse than the segno extending into the margin.

Just my two pennies...

Cheers,
Alexander

PNG image