changes to Clef

From: Graham Percival
Subject: changes to Clef
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 04:38:12 +0000

Carl, why did you push the recent change to Clef?

1.  no contractions, please.  I'm not convinced about the new
language there, anyway -- what about "(but are not required to
be)" ?

2.  we have a policy of "show, don't tell".  Why did we remove
\clef G, F, C from the example?
If there's a desire to emphasize the abbreviated nature -- and
really, "abbreviated" is not the right word, since G is not an
abbreviation of "treble" -- a comment in the @lilypond would do
this.

3.  wrap lines at 72 chars, please.  That's not always possible
with scheme code, but it's definitely doable with normal texinfo.

4.  why remove the pointer to ancient notation?  I remember
specifically discussing whether to include such
sentence-references, as opposed to a @seealso.

... oh wait, it's still there; I just couldn't see it due to the
long line.

5.  don't refer to an "example above" if at all possible; the
referred format is "text, verbatim, image".  I'm not conviced we
need to specifically need to mention g^8; I mean, we don't
specifically mention treble^8, do we?