Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond's internal pitch representation and microtonal notation
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:27:09 +0100

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM, Joseph Wakeling
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/20/2010 03:22 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
>> 2) make a scan of some published music that uses this notation.  This
>> will immediately silence anybody who wants to argue (as I somewhat
>> did) that a single fraction is sufficient to show any microtonal
>> notation.
>
> For arrowed quarter-tones the notation is described (and recommended) in
> Kurt Stone's book "Music Notation in the Twentieth Century".

Excellent reference!  That book is frequently quoted on this list, so
this should settle any question of "is it necessary".

>  I don't
> own a scanner :-( but will try and take a copy of the relevant page
> (it's pp.67-70 IIRC; I was looking at it last night).

Wait a few days; many people here own a copy, so somebody might make a
scan for you.

> There are various other notations to consider that have a similar
> character.  I'll try and prepare a variety of representative examples.

One scan should be fine.  The first step is to convince people that
the representation needs to be extended, and Stone should be
sufficient for that.  The next step is for somebody actually code it.

The third step is the graphical output, and additional examples would
only be necessary if Stone was unclear.  But this is probably months
off, and needs to be examined by a font person, so don't fuss about it
now.