Re: Doc: NR 4.1.2: Reorganize vertical dimensions. (issue2316042)

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Doc: NR 4.1.2: Reorganize vertical dimensions. (issue2316042)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 12:53:17 -0700

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 11:26 AM, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:
On 10/2/10 10:50 PM, "Joe Neeman" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 8:08 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 2010/10/03 02:49:30, Mark Polesky wrote:
>>> On 2010/10/02 16:32:06, Carl wrote:
>>
>> I don't think so.  I think 'padding is added as a rigid space interval,
>> hence my saying that it is added to the layout item above.
>>
>> 'space should begin below 'padding IIUC.
>
> The attachment point of 'space doesn't depend on 'padding (or
> 'minimum-distance). If you think in terms of springs, the beginning of one
> spring is always glued to the end of the previous one. 'padding and
> 'minimum-distance are only useful in determining the minimum lengths of the
> springs.

What is the difference between 'padding and 'minimum-distance, then?

They both add minimum-length constraints to the spring. The length of a spring is constrained to be larger than minimum-distance and it is constrained to be large enough so that there is at least 'padding white space between the actual stencils. If you like, you can think of minimum-distance as being "attached" to the same attachment point as the spring (eg. middle staff line), while padding is "attached" to the bottom-most part of the stencil.

Cheers,
Joe