Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:44:44 +0200

On 2010-10-06 17:46, Mark Polesky wrote:
I also think the name 'space is misleading; I propose
'default-distance.  Opinions?

I can't see why 'space should be misleading, but that might just be that I'm accustomed to it by now. It's shorter, but anything other is okay as well. (Of course, this requires an understanding of the connections 'padding vs. 'space and 'stretchability vs. 'minimum-distance.)

But should it be 'default-distance or 'optimal-distance? "Default" to me (non-native speaker) implies that it's the value proposed by the system, which can be overridden by the user. I think "optimal" fits better in the sense that it's the user-given value which the layout algorithms aims to achieve, but does not always succeed to reach. In this sense, 'stretchability is a deeper feature most users hopefully don't have to care about too much; what you want to tweak is 'space.

Cheers,
Alexander