Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 17:50:57 -0600

On 10/7/10 8:59 AM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Enough votes are in for 'base-distance (and you can add my
> vote as well), so I think that settles it.  But I still need
> people to comment on
>
> 1) the patch:
> http://codereview.appspot.com/2303044

The patch looks fine to me.

> and
>
> 2) the approach:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-10/msg00095.html

The approach seems fine to me, except that you shouldn't push a patch that
changes the property names without changing the docs and the regtests at the
same time.  Otherwise, you break compiling while you're waiting.

As far as convert-ly rules go, a regex wizard could probably write a rule
that would handle everything properly, considering the possibility that each
of the spacing variables can be defined partially (i.e. define space, but
not padding or minimum-distance).  But trying to figure out how to
substitute base-distance for space automatically would seem to be a real
problem, since the word space can show up lots of places besides as an
argument to *-spacing.

Given that the new spacing code has only been in development releases, I
think I'd create a NOT_SMART rule, and change the regtests manually.

> Two more questions...
>
> 1) Pardon my ignorance, but do we ever run convert-ly on the
> regtests?

Personally, when I make a change in syntax, I grep for all occurences of
that syntax and change them manually.  But that's because every change I've
made is NOT_SMART.

> 2) I've changed "between-scores-system-spacing" to
> "score-score-spacing", but now I'm thinking
> "score-system-spacing" might be slightly clearer.  Though if
> we make that change, we might want to change
> "before-title-spacing" to "score-markup-spacing" for
> consistency (instead of "system-markup-spacing").  Or is
> this a bad idea?

Does before-title-spacing apply at the top of the first page, or only
between scores?

Does between-scores-system-spacing apply only to the case where there are
two scores without a markup between?

Do we consider a header as part of a score or not?

If we don't consider the markup to be part of a score, I like the term
score-score-spacing.  To me it says it controls the spacing between the last
system of the first score and the first system of the next score.  If that
meaning is write, let's keep the name.  If that meaning is wrong, let's
change the name.

Also, if system-markup-spacing only applies to the distance between the last
system of the first score and a markup that comes after the score, then it
should be score-markup-spacing, IMO.  If it applies to the spacing between a
system *in a score* and a markup *in the same score*, then it should be
system-markup-spacing.

Thanks,

Carl