Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 18:42:34 +0100

On Sat, Oct 09, 2010 at 05:50:49PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Mark Polesky wrote Saturday, October 09, 2010 4:46 PM
>
> >It's not that I want to split hairs; I want to get the new
> >variable names right the first time.  My apologies to any of
> >you who are getting tired with this process.

%%% in Mark-style, read to the bottom before commenting.  :)

This discussion has been quite short (what, one week?), has not
made any attempt to consult users or external projects that use or
output lilypond input code, etc.  We *will* have complaints about
this change.

If anybody is tired of _this_ process, then Mao help them when
GLISS is happening.  (that said, GLISS will occur on a separate
mailing list, for precisely this reason -- people who want to
discuss syntax can do it there, while this list can focus on
serious development stuff)

> I'm afraid I'm no longer following this discussion sufficiently
> carefully to tender sensible comment,

Me too.

> I think now it would be better to push the changes, fix
> the documentation, and let us try using it to see if any
> more tweaks are worth making.

+1

This is not going to be the "final" syntax change for spacing
names.  David's idea is interesting, and who knows what other
possibilities might be suggested if we had a wider consultation.
However, that's a task for GLISS 2 in a year or two, not right
now.

Once you have agreement from Joe and a lack of screams of agony
from any other main developers, start pushing stuff.  When users
complain, I'll tell them to get stuffed [1].

[1] do any other Canadians miss the Royal Canadian Air Farce?  Now
that I'm in Scotland, I keep on fondly remembering their
"left-handed immigrant bagpipe technician" comedy sketches.