Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: James
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:27:53 +0100

Hello,

On 12/10/2010 12:54, David Kastrup wrote:
James<address@hidden>  writes:

Hello,

On 2010-10-09 17:46, Mark Polesky wrote:
CURRENT NAME PROPOSED NAME
------------ -------------
top-system top-system
top-title top-markup
between-title markup-markup
after-title markup-system
between-system system-system
before-title system-markup
bottom-system system-bottom
between-scores-system score-system

Why do we have

'top-system' but 'system-bottom' and not instead, 'bottom-system'?

Because there is no system after the bottom?

?

I'll stop if I am really showing my ignorance (I am not a code developer), but from a user-point of view it would be much more 'logical' if the naming was split *consistently* into

What you are changing (system, markup, title etc) and where you are changing.

I still think a *user* (not programmer or code developer) is going to really get frustrated when they don't know what a system is i.e... 'oh you mean the stuff with the notes in...we call that a 'score' where I come from. Also Top-Markup

As I see it my 'scores' are broken into

1. Titles (composer, arranger, instrument etc also includes tagline and page numbers)
2. Score (the stuff where the notes go)
3. Markup (the stuff that includes dynamics, textual markups, rehearsal marks, hairpins and so on that can hang above or below a score but stuff that is NOT in 'Titles' and is not the notes themselves).

Then you simply have 'above', 'below', 'between'. Somethings would be redundant like 'above-titles' or 'titles-above' (I don't care which would come first, as long as the signifiers are consistent)

To me 'markup-system' and 'system-system' are plain annoyingly obfuscating and I am obviously missing a trick because 'score-system' in my 'world' would be nonsensical. Between-score-system which is what it was would simply be 'score-between' or 'between-score'.

Thanks for your time.

James