Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:29:23 -0600

On 10/10/10 12:56 PM, "Mark Polesky" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's an updated patch set for review:
> http://codereview.appspot.com/2303044/
>
> It's organized into 5 commits on my local branch:
> 1) Rename vertical spacing dimensions.
> 2) Update convert-ly (vertical spacing).
> 3) Run convert-ly on affected regtests (vert. spacing).
> 4) Revise regtest texidoc headers (vert.spacing).
> 5) Update docs in English (vert. spacing).
>
> ...but Rietveld meshed them all into one.  So, once
> approved, I'll push it as a set of patches, not just one.

Why not push it as one patch?  It seems like all of those pieces need
to be accomplished in order to have a fully-buildable release (i.e. if the
variable names in lilypond don't match the variable names in the docs,
make doc will fail.

I think it should all be pushed as one patch.

> 2 questions:
>
> 1) The filenames of some of the affected regtests are now
> incorrectly named.  For example,
> page-spacing-top-title-spacing.ly should probably become
> page-spacing-top-markup-spacing.ly.  What's the protocol
> for this type of situation?

git mv input/regression/page-spacing-top-title-spacing.ly
input/regression/page-spacing-top-markup-spacing.ly

> 2) Should I update the translated docs?

If your convert-ly rule can make the changes, go ahead and run convert-ly on
the foreign language docs.

If your convert-ly rule can't make the changes, then you should modify *the
snippets* in the foreign language docs, so they will continue to compile.
Don't modify the text in the foreign language docs; the translators will do
that.

Thanks,

Carl