Re: T1249 - Remove (define define-ly-syntax define-public). (issue231304

From: pnorcks
Subject: Re: T1249 - Remove (define define-ly-syntax define-public). (issue2313044)
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2010 17:27:19 +0000

On 2010/10/09 15:31:14, ianhulin44 wrote:
On 2010/10/08 05:00:00, Patrick McCarty wrote:

> scm/ly-syntax-constructors.scm:20: (define define-ly-syntax
> define-public)
>
> Instead of removing this definition (like I did), would it be
> possible to use a macro here?  Something like
>
>   (defmacro define-ly-syntax (args . body)
>     `(define-public ,args ,body))
>
> This is untested.

It doesn't work with Guile 1.9.

I just tested this change with Guile 1.9, and everything checked out,
though I didn't test Guile 1.8.  I did a build from scratch and
eliminated the cache from ~/.cache/guile just to be sure.

Can you verify?

I'm testing with the commit at the top of

  http://repo.or.cz/w/lilypond/patrick.git/shortlog/refs/heads/guile

> I forgot why I changed this...
>
> Is there a reason why "primitive-eval" was used here in the first
> place?

I don't know, but removing the cruft works with both Guile versions,
and the regtests still run with Guile 1.8.7.  Maybe it was a hangover
from backwards compatibility with V1.6?  You'll have to ask a
grown-up to get the answer to this one.

Okay, let's just leave this then.

> This part needs to be rebased against current master.

It was because I had re-based it thew up differences with your
prototype.  However I can see there are some potential problems here.
Will investigate.

I do remember having rebase conflicts myself; this was due to one of
Neil's recent commits affecting this file.

Thanks,
Patrick

http://codereview.appspot.com/2313044/