Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:42:19 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/13/10 2:40 PM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> The point is that we want a sane way of specifying document layout
>> parameters.  The current naming scheme resembles that desire.  The
>> current code not.  Adapting the naming scheme to the deficiencies of
>> the code is going the wrong way in my opinion.
>
> As far as I can see, we have no plans to change the code.

Let me put it bluntly: the new scheme cements the decision to make
markups and titles have the same spacing.

A score followed by a title needs a solid amount of spacing and is an
excellent position for a page break.

A score followed by an editorial note "* this may be f# instead" needs a
small amount of spacing and is an awfully bad position for a page break.

If those cases are treated the same, it is a bug.  We are now
transplanting this bug from the code into the user interface where it
will be rather cemented.

I don't think that this is a sensible change for 2.14.