Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:42:18 +0200

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 9:42 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Let me put it bluntly: the new scheme cements the decision to make
> markups and titles have the same spacing.

Greetings David,

Quoting Mark (the man through whom the scandal cometh!) in the very
first mail in this thread,

"
Obviously not all markups are titles, but all titles are
markups, right?
"

> A score followed by a title needs a solid amount of spacing and is an
> excellent position for a page break.
>
> A score followed by an editorial note "* this may be f# instead" needs a
> small amount of spacing and is an awfully bad position for a page break.
>
> If those cases are treated the same, it is a bug.  We are now
> transplanting this bug from the code into the user interface where it
> will be rather cemented.

Fair point. However I don't remember LilyPond having the ability to
print footnotes (or proper endnotes, for that matter) *at all*.

Perhaps we're looking at this the wrong way, and that would be because
"markup" is such a vague term in LilyPond. Basically, anything and
everything can be done through markups (as Mark sensibly reminded us,
even "titles" are actually markups).

My point is, (speaking from a purely user-perspective, btw): your
suggestion seems valid to me, but worded in a manner (differentiating
"titles" and "markups") that is a bit confusing -- since, from what I
gather, what you're really trying to distinguish is
"official-markup-that's-defined-as-a-title" and
"user-custom-markup-that-isn't-meant-to-be-regarded-as-an-official-title"
(well, I can understand the need for a single word :)

As you said, we need to have different levels of hierarchy, and
ideally, a scheme where we could add as many levels as we'd like.
-> Perhaps we could use HTML naming? h1-spacing, h2-spacing,
h3-spacing, hn-spacing,... etc? (where h1 would be the book title, h2
the piece title, etc.)
-> Perhaps we could give a number as a parameter? markup-1-spacing,
markup-2-spacing, etc. (and possibly add something like
markup-unprioritized-spacing, like, for endnotes/footnotes) ? Anyway,
as you said yourself, this may very well be a GLISS discussion
already.

(.2$, obviously)

GLHF
Valentin