Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: names of vertical spacing dimensions
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 18:07:11 +0100

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 07:57:02AM -0700, Mark Polesky wrote:
> David Kastrup wrote:
> > In short, we are going down a road now where any
> > user-visible improvement (for which the necessity is
> > clear) will become increasingly painful to do for both
> > developers and users.

Sure.  Let's bite the bullet.

> > Since obviously I am alone with this opinion among the
> > developers, I would suggest polling the users on the
> > Lilypond user list whether they think this change a step
> > in the right direction and desirable for 2.14.

No, because users know nothing about our state of development.

David, can you produce patches -- by yourself -- that fix the
title-markup-spacing thing within a month ?  If yes, then I'm ok
with rejecting Mark's patch.  If no, then I say we accept the
patch and move on with life.

> I just want to state (for the record), that I think the
> points David has raised are important ones.

Yes, they are.  I expect that they'll be addressed in GLISS 2.

> I didn't want to start a war here (and I don't think I did), but
> I wanted to expose and confront what I saw as a problem.

Syntax changes always cause wars.

> I think this is a good time to rethink how LilyPond uses the
> \markup command.

... after the second alpha test of a stable release, and a month
or two before a comprehensive review of all our syntax which has
been planned for years?

I say we should push your patch, get 2.14 out the door, and start
GLISS.