LyricText #'font-series = #'bold-narrow ?!

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: LyricText #'font-series = #'bold-narrow ?!
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 14:39:22 +0200

Hi, folks,

why does LyricText #'font-series default to #'bold-narrow?

First, it's counterintuitive to me to have a bold narrow font as the most important thing to read in a piece; it's just too black-ish. Condensed seems fine for lyrics, but bold? Second, it's defined for nearly no font, in particular Century Schoolbook L (the default of LilyPond) does not have it, IIUC, so regular is used instead. At least, this holds for the free typeface; according to Wikipedia, there are Century designs featuring a narrow variant, but AFAICS all are commercial, and don't necessarily come as Century /Schoolbooks/. Third, even /if/ it were defined, it doesn't seem to work: I tried "Nimbus Sans L", the only font I could find right now which actually offers a bold condensed variant (with the same basename, i.e. [1]), and it falls back to regular even there. Which came to no surprise after I saw

# git grep bold-narrow
Documentation/misc/ChangeLog-2.1: * scm/font.scm (paper20-font-vector): add bold-narrow series (only Documentation/misc/ChangeLog-2.1: * scm/define-grobs.scm (all-grob-descriptions): use bold-narrow scm/define-grob-properties.scm: include @code{medium}, @code{bold}, @code{bold-narrow}, etc.")
scm/define-grobs.scm:             (font-series . bold-narrow)

Is this symbol actually defined somewhere, and what am I missing?

[1] This observation makes me wonder: is it possible to define different font basenames for several series of, say, the serif default font? Some of my favourite fonts come in two flavours for normal spacing and condensed spacing, and my workaround - if I need both - is to define the condensed one as the monospace font to have easy access on it. Which works, but is a complete abuse of the monospace entry. The Real Thing would be to say "GarmdITC Bk BT" is my default serif font, with default proportions, "GarmdITC BkCn BT" is the corresponding condensed font. Some typefaces even need the same for bold, ultra-bold or something like this (e.g. Arial vs. Arial Black). And when 'font-series is switched, of course the appropriate basename should be chosen.

Cheers,
Alexander