Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:40:09 +0200

On 27 Oct 2010, at 14:53, address@hidden wrote:

I think it's best if we treat non-Western stuff as "notations and
tunings" rather than just "note names". Here's a new patch set, please
have a look.

As it now stands in the manual, it looks out of context to me. So it should be changed, I think:

The situation in world music is the same as in CPP: there is a set of pitches that strictly speaking can refer to different tunings. Then people may choose different ways to name those notes. For example in gamelan music, some may use English and others Indonesian names.

So strictly speaking, I think there should be headers: CPP, Arabic, Persian, Turkish, etc., and under each, there might be one or more files producing those.

Also, I prefer CPP (Common Practice Period) to "Western", as it becomes complicated to explain Western music traditions outside CPP.