Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: Remove arabic.ly from common note name languages. (issue2755041)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 16:10:34 +0100

Hi Valentin,

I like what you've done for ease of setting LilyPond's  expectations as
to what it sees to name the notes of a scale (\language "catalan") or
whatever.
By splitting out arabic.ly from the valid list for language scale names,
you open up the possibility of another similar function
\octaveSteps, with a default of "cpp" to specify twelve divisions of the
octave with eight notes used as the most significant.  The
initialization code could have the setting cpp as its default value, and
you could have
\octaveSteps "arabic"
\octaveSteps "maqam"
\octaveSteps "kalyaniraga"  etc.

or possibly call it \octaveDivisions.

Although this may not be possible in time for 2.14, you may want to
think about organizing the docs to allow for this in the future.

Cheers,

Ian